Tuesday, August 28, 2007

 

A Flip Flop Survey
How Do You Like to Wear Your Flip Flops?

It is my contention that there are two basic ways to go with flip flops. Either you let them hang a bit from the heel or they tuck right to the heel. This is a matter of what size you buy. Do you want your flip flop to be little on the big size or do you want it to basically hug your foot where almost the only thing you see is the thong strap? It is a burning question to be sure. And I say it's really not up to you in deciding what size. You're going to gravitate to the one that fits best, that is going to make it with you for the long haul of actually walking in them. But you can play a game with size when it comes to brand. I say that the GAP flip flop is a hugger flip flop, at least for me. I do like the flips that leave a bit of room in the back and I like it that way because my feet feel securely off the ground and supported, at least as supported as they're going to get in flops. One brand that works for this is Teva. And then there's having the foot and flip match up exactly, maybe too exactly and that can be fun. That is definitely the case with GAP flops. They are one of the best at giving you that sensation, of getting as close to being barefoot as possible. Another that readily comes to mind are Havaianas. And now I'm also thinking about how off the ground do you want to be? Reef are good for those chunky flops. Also, another thing about the ones with the room in the back, I hate it when anyone gets so close that they step on the back of them! Oh, how I hate tailgaters!

So, I hope this helps get your flip flop fix in high gear. We have to say goodbye to the long hot days soon but not yet!

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:
I think when posing your question you left out one important determinant. Sex. Females have an almost infinite variety of choices when it comes to footwear in general and flip flops in particular. Look around at flip flops for guys and you'll see a much narrower range of choices. And of those choices probably better than 99% of them are the "chunky" type. The only exception I can think of is the cheap rubber type you can buy (the Old Navy brand comes to mind). If you're a guy and you want a "nice" pair you are shoehorned (pun intended) into the "chunky" kind.
Since I have narrow feet almost every flip flop I have tried on is bigger than the foot. Still, it beats shoes if you have to wear something and can't go barefoot.
 
I feel for you, bft4evr. Yeah, you're right. Us girls do have a lot more options. It's like companies think guys wouldn't be as much into flip flops so they offer a more limited choice. The truth is flip flops are universal. I would say that if you found Old Navy to work for you then do try the GAP since they're the same company, along with Banana Republic.
 
I am so picky about my flips!
I only wear them when all attempts at remaining barefoot have failed, if I really need the services or products of the un-enlightened offending establishment.
They must go on easy, and since they are only worn for a few minutes a year typically, they never get quite broken in enough for that. In addition, I have been walking, hiking, and excercising barefoot for so long that every aspect of my feet have become muscular, including my high and powerful insteps.
That makes flippies pretty tight, and I would have to buy them oversize.
Problem is, I HATE overhanging flip flops! I don't mind them as much on other people, but for myself I hate they way they look, feel, and function.
I have gone into stores that had isles and isles of basic 3 pointers, and have still walked away empty-footed.
I found a pair that worked great that were nice looking too, so I bought four pairs at once, knowing that I would be assured of always having a fresh pair for "dress" for the first few minutes of a fancy party or something. They also were pretty cheap, but very heavy for how minimal they looked.
A year later, I found a different pair that was just about right, a little more beachy looking though, but relatively WEIGHTLESS.
Four pairs were'nt available in my size, but I convinced the manager to order some more. They have become my back-pack/back-up pair, owing to their light weight.
Showroom new even on the soles, I made a point of showing that to a restaurant manager as proof that he was the first person to really force us to wear shoes.
My wife's are even better-I custom made them for her myself out of a thin piece of polyethylene and dental floss. Weighing in at less then a few grams, they only take up the space of a chapstick in her purse.
We being barefoot people look at flips as tools only to be worn in emergency, but can see the beauty of them as well-as long as they are worn by others.
Sure, we would like to see more people lose the flops in favor of tan line-free bare feet with tough yet crackless dirty soles, but for those who must be shod for one reason or another what could be more fun and sexy than a nice pair of flips.
Another problem us guys face is that if the soles and straps become too minimal, they look like ladie's shoes. Maybe some guys are into that, but not me. I love going barefoot, but really would never be caught dead in what looked like female flip flops.
I get teased already by a few guys when using the flowery surfer/beach models in blue, even though the strap is "manly man" wide.
Funny, in high school I was a bit concerned that going barefoot was "girly" looking to some, but these days bare feet in public have become inappropriate for BOTH sexes, so I am not guilty of emulating a "chick" look any more.
The current trend of flips as high fashion was supposed to help us barefoot people with acceptance, since public veiwing of the whole foot has become so standard.
Instead, it has actually taken away from the prospects of barefoot everywhere life, by giving people the basis for the ubiquitous comment: "Why don't you just wear flip flops?"
Hey FFG, do you ever wear barefoot sandals? You sound like you might like them!
Published this time? Don't know why, but your blog would only take this from Anonymous. I am Boardster, but Blogspot must not remember me.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?