Wednesday, March 07, 2007

 



Random Nation

For some reason, this video seems to say a lot about our times.

Everything just a little too fast and out of sync and sort of spooky.

It makes perfect sense that the word "random" is used as it is right now. You know, as in, "Hey, I ran into this old friend of mine, how random!" Or "Wow, I'm into that song too, how random!" It sounds cute. And it sounds annoying too. Is it the perfect one-word discription of our post-postmodern world? Is it a little cry for help from Generation Y?

We are so bombarded by text, images, video. We keep finding ways to increase the stimulation.

What happens to all our stories? All our traditions? All our ways of life? Luckily, we don't all have to follow some herd mentality, some greek row concept of hyper-shallow sex, a desire for everything to be neatly packaged, a need for blinders to shut out the world. We can step out into the fresh air. We can think for ourselves. We can take control of our lives.

You know, if I had to steer to just one particular course, I wouldn't head towards more of a wank fest but more to a wonk fest. I'll keep stirring things up and, with a little help from my friends, I will continue to explore these choppy waters. Keep in mind, I am very sexual but I am also very much a person of the mind. Those of you who have been patiently following my progress, already know that.

Any of you familiar with Marshall McLuhan? I'm thinking a lot of people are no longer aware of him and his writing. If he were still with us, I'd love to hear his take on things today. He was already spot on to what is going on back in the '60s. Things now, in many ways, are just starting to catch up with his views and some things might surprise him. He predicted, if we weren't careful, we could be swallowed up whole my this media-drenched three ring circus.

How random!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?