Saturday, March 03, 2007

 


Flip Flop Girl on Writing

It can be a challenge to bring to life all of my ideas and stories to you in an organized and coherent manner. Sometimes I wonder if I've packaged things too much. I'm not a born writer but I suppose I aspire to at least be a good writer. I think it can be said that my worst error is in trying too hard to set things down. Ironically, in doing so, I rob them of their essence. That is what I'm after: getting to an essential truth. I have embellished and altered life events to protect people and to attempt to create something more from all the randomness. Maybe I've gone over the top in attempting to make a point.

I am still developing my own voice. Maybe my voice is annoying. Maybe it doesn't sound authentic enough. Maybe I shouldn't try so hard. I don't know. I could just wrap this up and chalk it up as a good experiment. I'd prefer to continue..at least for a little bit longer. I remember this criticism of Sinclair Lewis. His friends said that, compared to his natural speech, his books were far too stilted. Why, they asked, couldn't he be more natural in his writing? I can understand that as regards my own writing. I can have fun at a club with friends, for instance, and get caught up in conversations, whatever, but most of it doesn't sound like stuff that adds up to very much. When I try to write a story, I want to pare down a lot of that chatter and clutter but maybe I'm paring down too much as I do feel I might be trying too hard to set down some official record of what happened, etc.

As always, I do welcome your comments. Lately, I've been getting some comments that leave me wondering for the best answer. You know who you are. Feel free to contact me at an email address I've created just for this purpose:

flipflopgirlblog@gmail.com

And I'll talk to all of you later.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments:
We all understand the difficulty translating thoughts and experiences which flow so fluidly into..... text. Some people work in charcoal, some work in oils.

All have something to give.
 
Hey footprints, it's always nice to see your comments. Like I've said, I main goal is a little peace, love, and understanding. I tell my stories the way I want to tell them and, as long as my message is getting across and they're entertaining, I feel good about them. I am attempting to create some "art" out of life with them. I hope it's working out. I can still improve but I have to start somewhere.
 
one's writing voice IS different than one's speaking voice. in my opinion you should continute to develop your written voice.
 
Thanks a lot, T! I really do appreciate it! I feel better.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?