Tuesday, March 06, 2007

 


Flip Flop Girl List: Television

We'll have to take a closer look at televison and shape up a list sometime. I know. I just started thinking about a music list and now I'm onto the tube. Well, there's no rush. We're having fun with this. I think the problem is keeping track of all the foot references that are made now. I suggest we look as far back as we can and go from there. I'm pretty sure there were no foot references made on the first TV show ever, "The Milton Berle Show" but I could be wrong. Maybe Uncle Miltie painted is nails when he went on in drag but I doubt it.

You'll love this: I think I once spotted the earliest, if not the first, sort of foot fetish-related scene on television, at least American televison: it's an episode of "Leave it to Beaver" where the Beaver's school teacher visits his home. This is very disorienting for the dim little boy. He can only stare at Mrs. Landers and is besides himself when he's left alone with her in the living room as the parents attend to dinner. Lo and behold, the Beaver is riveted to her feet. She is wearing open toe pumps. He can only stare. He's never seen his teacher out of school let alone in such shoes or, God forbid, seen her toes. All this, of course, makes the young woman unconfortable and she manages to jar the boy out of his trance by talking about homework or some such thing.




Perhaps Theodore Cleaver represents middle America at mid-century, all bloated and innocent, oblivious to what lay beyond its suburban prison. And Mrs. Landers is the Other. She represents Sin. She represents the sophisticated outside world that chubby little boys like the Beaver may only dare to fantasize about.

Discuss amongst yourselves. And let me know if you find a clip or any info about that particular episode and any and all of your favorite moments from FEET TV.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:
As I noted in my own blog, there was an episode of Sex and The City -- Season 2, Episode 24, titled "La Douleur Exquise!" -- that prominently featured a subplot involving a shoe salesman with an obvious foot fetish. (Yes, I managed to find specific episode details, in response to your comment.)

I also remarked other seemingly negative portrayals of foot fetishists in the animated TV sitcom, King of the Hill. And if you're familiar with pro wrestling (definitely one of my non-sexual guilty pleasures), there is a grappler named Gene Snitksy who previously incorporated his alleged real-life foot fetish into his crazed on-air persona.

Various reality TV shows -- mostly forgettable dating programs -- often depicted acts of foot-lust. However, they're sometimes framed in the context of unpleasant dares, or just casual flirtation, rather than anything genuinely erotic.

I understand that you're looking for less contemporary examples. But I guess it's worth keeping all these instances in mind, for later reference, as your list moves towards the present day.

If I can recall any more "vintage" examples, I'll definitely let you know.
 
Thank you so much, Paolo. Yeah, I've casually come across stuff on TV, a lot of it reality TV. I do have a past post about TV featuring a very interesting foot fetish scene from "Allie McBeal" and another from "Just Shoot Me" and one going back to "Cheers" just to name a few.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?