Friday, February 09, 2007

 


Just a few words on Anna Nicole Smith

Unfortunately, I see this story growing, much in the same lame way that the O. J. Simpson saga played itself out: a tragedy involving a person of very little if no charisma. Anna Nicole Smith is hotter than ever and I do find it sad and possibly fascinating but I won't hold my breath. I haven't really kept up with Anna Nicole Smith before her death but now, that she's dead, I'm sort of interested. No one can say this person was a talent, or a radiant personality. What does she leave behind? Nothing. Nothing except all this drama between a lot of creepy little minor characters. Well, that alone could be fun. Maybe Dominick Dunne needs to sort through this mess and whip something up that is truly engaging.

At least the story about the lunatic astronaut has been knocked off the front burner.

And I can't say I find Anna Nicole Smith much of a sex symbol. She certainly was sexual but I don't know about sensual. She just didn't radiate real heat.

Okay, that's probably all I have to say about this. I do think this is one of those stories that's going to linger until we finally get tired of the stench. We would need somebody like Truman Capote to find the poetry within this heap of junk.

Let me know if I'm missing something. I do feel sorry for what happened to her but, as a pop culture figure, I am still left cold. I'm sure Andy Warhol would have loved her train wreck persona. Was her reality TV show any good? I do want to keep an open mind about there being a worthwhile story here somewhere. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:
When i was about 14 years old, i got my hands on some playboys (so trite and hokey, but sorry), and one was ANS's debut spread. she was lounging in a tub and had on a pair of transparent, high-heeled pumps. Her toes were painted bright red and very visible through her shoes even from a distance and on the side. More than any other picture i had, that one made quite an impression on me. coincidentally, that was within +/- a month or so of me "discovering" or realizing or whatever that i had a foot fetish. or maybe not coincidentally. so as you say, a minor character; indeed, a minor character in my sexual tastes and development. and now shes dead.
 
That's cool. I think I impulsively gravitated to Anna Nicole because of the sex appeal factor. I do remember looking at Playboy too and enjoying it a little bit now and then. Maybe Anna Nicole just seemed too plastic for me. I'll have to look up her Playboy pics sometime. I guess that's the best she has to leave behind as far as a career legacy.
 
I'm sure that a pretty good story will eventually be told about Anna Nicole. Remember Dorothy Stratten? I was looking up films by Peter Bogdanovich and found, "Star 80." Maybe I'll create a post about it.
 
Good post. These made for cable news stories are somehow so depressing. They're just made to order for our tabloid mentality as a nation.
 
Thank you so much for your comment, wardens world. I always appreciate them. Step by step, I'm trying to make connections between our tabloid nation mentality and how the intimate becomes the too familiar. And I'm tyring to look back at its origins.


With that in mind, I do have another film to recommend to everyone, A King In New York, which is Charlie Chaplin's last film he stars in. He does a terrific job of satirizing pop culture. It is 1950's pop culture but it's so spot on that it takes on some very interesting prophetic qualities! I'll post now so I can get this down while its fresh on my mind. If time allows, and I can get my head straight, I know I'm going to write some sort of book about all my observations, sexual and otherwise! I'm starting out raw but refining as much as I can as I go.

Thanks again, wardens world. You, and all my other blogger friends, manage to keep me on my toes with your comments.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?