Friday, January 26, 2007

 


Flip Flop Girl: On Being a Girl

I never lose sight of the fact that being in tune with the ground, with your feet, encompasses many things. I think my earliest memories of flip flops are sweet and bring back to me a pure and innocent sensuality that is powerful in its own right. It reminds me of Woodsworth's search for a greater innocence, one tempered by experience.

A little girl in flip flops is tapping into feeling good on a profound level and she already knows it. What she doesn't know, all that sex stuff, she doesn't have to know. It gets in the way. Sometimes, it gets in my way. Sometimes I envy people not aware of what a foot fetish is. I can't believe the other day when I was over at a friend's and she had on the TV. And it was Oprah. The topic of foot fetishes came up and Oprah said she'd never heard of such a thing. But then I think that I am better off knowing as much as I want and putting it to good use.

As a child, playing on the beach, I remember the sensation of being one with my body and with nature. A Garden of Eden feeling! Placing my feet in the sand, working them deep down inside, padding about leaving footprints, and then having the ocean wash each and every little grain of sand away, all these sensations were having their way with me.

If I found myself starting high school with making plans for having sex on the beach, I could say that the beach had already seduced me. As soon as I was old enough, I know I played with myself while pressing my feet into the sand. It wasn't anything explicit. I was about thirteen and I do remember discreetly rubbing myself while at the beach. It was a start and I was confident even back then that much lay ahead.

I suppose my experience with Tim was a bit of a false start. I was never really in harm's way. As I say, it's not for everyone. I wouldn't want my child, if I ever do have a child, to do the same. It was just one of those things that worked itself out for my particular needs. It provided me with a little of everything: information, confidence, and some attention. I was lucky to make use of it all as best I could. That experience did not, however, provide me with much love so I can't call it my first love. That came a little later.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:
Hello Rachel,
Your musings on childhood prompt me to share a hypothesis with you, that I suspect you will at least find amusing. I am convinced that my 2 sons, aged 3 and 1, have inherited/are inheriting/will inherit my foot fetish. They are very tuned in to shoes and feet, and of course pay close attention to mommy's toes (always polished). One time I was walking on a beach with my oldest when he was almost 2 when he was absolutely mesmerized by this pair of women and their fancy pedicures. They were nice about it and struck up conversation, quite amused at the attention my son was paying to their feet.
Thought you might find that amusing. Saludos!
T
 
These things happen naturally. Like I've said, I wouldn't necessarily want the same for a child of mine. They'll have to figure that out and see what works for them. It's almost like picking up smoking or a coffee habit in a way. And yet, it's not a big deal and can be a good thing, a great thing! Kids are, as you know, curious about everything. It's great to know you're such a supportive parent. And kids do take cues from parents. Whatever the case, I'm sure your sons will do just fine!
 
Yeah, my wife thinks this is hilarious. It's pretty much the only sane reaction one can have...But the big problem for me is that I will never know the answer to the "nature vs. nurture" question. That is, do they get it mostly or solely from their environment (cues, as you said), or is it an inherited characteristic? I did not design any controls so I won't ever know empirically.
T
 
I love your wife--she sounds like a very good sport!
I'll have to think about this more and create a post about it sometime. I think that your boys will know you have a foot fetish before you get around to telling them, if you do. They are constantly tracking your every move, you know. They are looking at what you take notice of and what you call attention to. What does Daddy like? What is Daddy doing? I think you're probably one great role model. So, nothing to worry about. They'll know but it doesn't mean they'll follow either. And, if you did tell them, I think this would be way off in the future and I'd just be matter-of-fact about it. Basically, I'd leave it alone.

It is fun to discuss as a topic here on my blog. Thanks again for your comments, T.
take care,
Rachel
 
I like the way you've kept us hanging on to find out about your "first" love. Or me at least! Interesting writing as always though Rachel.

http://avote4james.blogspot.com/
 
James, your'e not the only one, I know that for sure! I'll give everyone a full report soon! You'll love it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?