Monday, October 30, 2006

 

Toe-sucking on Televison

One of my international friends on Blogger was wondering what TV shows have made any foot fetish references. She asked because I had pointed out in a previous post that we here in the States are preoccupied with, well, ourselves, and with sex, and that one of the more private and intimate sex acts, that of toe-sucking, has made its way to American prime time television. It has not happened in a totally big way but its there and maybe you'll notice it more after this post if you haven't already. I would say provocative foot references, no matter how brief, have been on the tube for at least the last ten years. I can't name them all but it might be interesting to try to compile them all. I'm talking about anything titillating having to do with feet. For instance, I have a vague recollection of a scene on "Cheers." I don't think I ever saw the episode but I remember relentless ads for that week's show that showed a girl on a barstool, perhaps responding to a dare or contest, who is doing her best to fit her whole foot in her mouth. It sounds outrageous but that is the whole point. To make people curious to see and drive up the ratings.

One of the most involved scenes I can think of regarding foot fancy was on the old Fox show, "Ally McBeal." I need to look that show up because, the more I think about it, that was a very good show and I remember it was considered, at the time, back in the early '90s, to have a very good pulse on what was going on. It was a show set in a law firm and it depicted the lawyers and the whole law profession as a crazy business not fit for anyone with a sensible mind. Well, anyway, the scene I recall is between a very important client and one of the lawyers in a private meeting. This client takes a good hard look at her lawyer and asks him if he'd like to suck on her toes. He says he would and he kneels down as the camera fades out. Now, this scene is classic "Ally McBeal." It's right on target about the madness of the law world and it's acknowledging the more open acceptance of what was once only considered taboo. What is funny is how innocent that scene appears to be compared to how television has taken things to a new level. That's not to say the scene is antiquated. I think it holds up well and retains some of its shock value. But then you've got reality TV and all these dating shows where anything goes and now you've also got all the toe-sucking to view online.

I'd say what stands out about the "Ally McBeal" scene is that it was an extended dramatic sequence and not a "now you see it, now you don't" shot where, if you blink, you miss the whole thing. I think keeping these foot moments brief is the standard. Afterall, television is working in a gray area here. This is basically a sex act but because it involves a cute little foot, the TV show people can pretend it's not much different from kissing. Well, I wouldn't want a child to see it. All in due time, don't you think? While I don't want to stigmatize this sex act, I still don't want to pretend it is not an intense thing. When it happens on one of these dating shows, not very often but now and then, it is briefly given a few moments and dismissed. It's usually some frat boy treating his date like a piece of meat and coaxing her to let him kiss her foot. She giggles and he takes a few sucks off her toes. This is all stuff that I wonder if it was best to leave in the bedroom. Too late for that. In a way, I like to think, it's good that it's out in the open. We need to embrace our sexuality. As for the networks, I don't think they're being very philosophical about it. They see another way to make a fast buck.

So, maybe you were unaware of all this. Now you are. These foot-related scenes come up here and there. America, for the most part, is a prudish nation. It retains it Puritan ethic. But, in the urban areas, and among many youth, and other groups, it is clear that we're definitely ready to open up. Maybe a little more than half among us Americans are open to these ideas. That's why the networks show the titillating stuff but try to hold back too.

Anyway, I'll have to try to come up with a Top Ten Foot Moments on Television. In such a format, I think the "Ally McBeal" scene might rank as number one for sheer focus and quality. Another one comes to mind right now. It was on the NBC show, "Just Shoot Me." It is set in the headquarters of a very high-end fashion magazine. The craven little receptionist character played by David Spade ends up becoming a temporary personal assistant to one of the super models. He continously suggests things he could do to help the model. Finally, she agrees to a pedicure. No sooner does he start to pamper her feet than, off camera, he sticks her toes in his mouth. She screams and he explains it is part of the treatment. Very brief scene but very funny.

Comments:
i loved ally mcbeal. it was a favorite show of mine for a long time. i'm sorta freaky like ally ;)

i didn't see the show you're referencing to, but i think it sounds great. we also don't get all the dating shows here in bahrain, so i don't see all the crazy stuff they're doing nowadays.

america is somewhat prudent, but sometimes i think it's a good thing. children learn way too fast and w/ sex... well, i think it's too much and too young of an age. here you have 14 yr olds having sex and such... and i've read some stuff where this girl was saying that at some schools, if you're 16 and haven't had sex, then you're made fun of.

i'm not one for this and believe that sex has a time and place. as i get older, i see things differently than i did years ago and my views are changing. i guess it's coming w/ age... altho, one of my fav shows was Sex & The City... and i think it did wonders for the U.S. and ppl's views of sex and women.

so... i guess it all depends.
 
Just a Foot Note:
Thanks for your comment, I will return when I'm back on my feets.
 
Networks do, of course, show the racy stuff later at night. I think it's by 9pm. That helps. And good parenting too!

We have too many of these dating shows. There's at least one on MTV that comes to mind. The Reality TV trend began in the UK and American Networks have completely embraced it. I always had a thing for "The Apprentice."

I was saying that Americans can be prudish. But they can be prudent too. I think Americans, at their best, do live up to their ideals. Again, I am embarassed by Bush. The Bush people saw an opportunity to get into power and ran with it. I hope the next couple of administrations can bring back the US to a far more favorable standing around the world.
 
"good luck finding a boyfriend who sucks toes..." - Jack Black - Tenacious D.

There is a funny scottish show called "chewin the fat", and they had a small recurring bit where a guy would be selling shoes, or working at a bowling alley(dealing with bowling shoe rentals). And when the customer turned away, the worker would sniff the shoe.

That's about all I have to contribute.

on a semi-related note...

Once a friend of mine and I were discussing the idea of getting a place together. And we were joking that we could make extra cash doing a webcam thing(this was like 5 years ago or more).

Anyways, we came up with the idea of a shoe-tree cam, which made us both laugh heartily. We never lived together, and the shoe tree cam was lost forever...until now.
 
Ryan, from my take on it, it's a question of trying to find a guy without a thing for feet. I don't know if I need a total foot freak. There are varying degrees. Who knows. If I were to trot into a bar wearing flip flops, I'd have a guy within seconds who would want to suck my toes! But do I want him to? All depends.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?